Frederick County, Maryland Art Teacher and Photographer

Friday, July 18, 2008

Heat of July

Yesterday I gave up or I like to think gave in. I sent my 2 1/2 year old son out-of-doors in the pajama shirt from the night before, a diaper and sandals. He is at the stage when he is exploring his new found independence and does not like me to dress him. He just says, 'I do myself", legs flailing.

It was a hot day. My four-year-old spent the entire day in his swim trunks so why bother putting shorts over an already hot, sticky diaper on the toddler. Giving in-yes. I always saw it as low-class when parents wouldn't bother to cover a baby's diaper. Just think, how many times have you been in your local Wal-Mart (one reason I boycott the store) only to see that family lead by the screaming mother as the older kids run up and down the aisles and the half-clothed, dirty baby sits in the front of the shopping cart sucking on a toy, or soda or maybe the mom's lighter.

Improper. But we were home and playing in the dirt and sprinkler all day. Why bother? I'm a mother of two rowdy boys and run a daycare from our home. I'm tired and it's hot as the devil outside. I gave in, but that's okay.

No comments: