Frederick County, Maryland Art Teacher and Photographer

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Still Crossing

Being apart of the Liz Lerman Dance Exchange's performance of Still Crossing as two of the "Community of Dancers" was one of the best mother/son experiences I have ever had. I am proud that Liam participated, learned the dance and finally performed on stage. But I was even more thrilled that he was part of the group rehearsals with all of the circle gathering, movements, singing, clapping and laughing. At one point I felt like I should be paying them for this experience-people would pay for this type class!

The fact that people of all ages and abilities were included in this performance opened up a wonderful dialogue about people with disabilities. I hope Liam grows up thinking this inclusion is the norm rather than the exception.

For me it was wonderful to meet and connect with several people . It was also nice to meet other Sandy Spring Friends alumni and current students. This year is my 20 reunion (glup!). And of course watching the company perform on stage. I really couldn't get enough of Ben who is a phenomenal dancer!

Several funny quotes and conversations with Liam included:

Friday before arriving and both of us needing to change clothes: "Mom, will I get to use the dressing room?" Andy and I pointed it our the night before and the dressing room idea must have stuck in his head. If you want him to perform again, his wants his own dressing room with his name on the door!

Late Friday night on the way home: "Mom, I think I'll be happy when this is over 'cause all we do is practice, practice, practice.....but I will be a little sad too. Will we ever see these people again?"

"Mom, why are we always doing this circle stuff." referring to all the circles we made as a group.

Just the fact that he now knows about Ellis Island, which turned into a conversation about slavery and so many other things!

http://www.gazette.net/stories/05122010/entemon152315_32549.php

No comments: