Frederick County, Maryland Art Teacher and Photographer

Monday, November 30, 2009

The Annual Christmas Card List

Each year my list of Christmas card recipients grows or changes. The past two years I have moved to address labels much to my mother’s chagrin, primarily because handwriting 150 addresses on top of the other holiday events which are on top of all other motherly duties is just too much. Also, it gives me an opportunity to write a personal note inside of the cards rather than signing them and sending them out. I spend a lot of time each year designing the card, typically with a choice photo. One year, while in college, I even turned out a large stack of handmade cards which I ran through the printing press. But those days are long gone.

Yesterday I ordered only 100 cards for this year. In the meantime I have spent some time trying to whittle down my list. I now have it to about 124 and feel good knowing I can take a few addresses (the next door neighbors) off the list and still feel good. Of course nature does some of the work for me. My first step was to go and take out those that passed away this year. We lost quite a few relatives this year and it really feels like longer than a year since losing my Great Aunt Bessie in January. But typically for every address that is removed there is another to take its place. This year I spent a lot of time concentrating on the friendships that I already have. I feel blessed to have such a good group of friends, both in my community and spread out all over the country. With that in mind I am getting ready to order an extra 20 cards, simply because I can’t bear to take anyone else off of my list. And luckily for those who I just got in touch with this past year, there is always Facebook.

1 comment:

Sheila Lamb said...

I'm not doing cards this year (again). Until I have the same address for more than a year.. :-)