Frederick County, Maryland Art Teacher and Photographer

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It's almost been a year

June 9, 2009

This afternoon a violent afternoon thunderstorm ripped through the area almost a year to the day (just one day off to be exact) that a microburst torn though my town, felling trees, damaging cars and homes and creating what looked like tornado swath. I am the type of person to remember significant dates. That week last year was a fanatical one, not just due to the storm, but also due to other events in my life. A year later I look back and think of all the good that has come from all those events, as well as some of the difficulties.

That Monday my husband came home to report that he had given notice at his job. Now a year later he is very happy not only with his current work, but also his office, co-workers, bosses, commute on the train into DC as well as just the general lifestyle of working in the city and coming home to his family in the country. That was a good day.

On Tuesday the storm came through, knocking down about five of our trees in our backyard and causing substantial damage to the backyard and fence. It just so happens that our computer blew out as well that morning (shortly before the storm, but the insurance company thinks it happened during the storm). We were lucky. One next door neighbor lost their car. Another had a huge tree land in their master bedroom. A year later we are still digging into the pile of mulch left behind from some of the trees knocked down on another neighbor’s property. That was a weird day.

On Wednesday, as I was setting up the removal of the trees in our yard, we received the news that my mother-in-law had Stage 3 ovarian cancer. I called the daycare parents to pick up the children, had my own sons go with my parents and I rushed to the hospital to be with Gail, Ron and Ryan. Now a year later, Gail is still fighting this disease. She has had her ups and downs and is on her third round of chemo. My in-laws decided to sell their beautiful mountain property and move to Louisiana to be closer to a well-renowned cancer treatment center and other family members. That was a bad day.

I know there were other things that happened that week as well (yes, I finally found my keys!) and then of course there were so many other events, both wonderful and exciting and aggravating that happened throughout the year. I use anniversaries to mark where I was and look at how far I have come, what has changed and what I need to continue to work on. I have seen my oldest son through his preschool experience, worked with my younger son on giving up the pacifier and diapers and continued working with children in my daycare. After many years, I have picked up my camera once again for artistic pursuits, not just as a method of recording family events. I have traveled to several exciting American cities, and jumped on the indie-rock music following scene as well as continued with my yoga practice and even branched out to my old love, modern dance. Life threw a few curve balls and I spent a good deal of time sitting in the auto repair shop, getting to know the staff after three accidents in six months (none of which were my fault). Weddings, sadness in friend’s lives, surgeries and health scares. They all happened this past year.

I know my blogs aren't really funny. As much as I would like them to be, I really need them as a form of therapy, much like I used to have when I was an avid journal keeper. So recently I have been thinking about the past 365 days and singing this song by Greg Laswell.

It’s almost been a year.

http://www.imeem.com/people/TRDYyxe/music/eAewzYa8/greg-laswell-its-been-a-year/

1 comment:

Writer Girl said...

It's amazing what can happen in a year, isn't it? I was just thinking about that yesterday after visiting Olive. Next year at this time, she could have an infant. A year ago, my friend Alison was single with no children, and today she is married and pregnant. Life can change on a dime, I guess. Good blog entry :-) Makes you realize how quickly our worlds can get thrown upside down.