Frederick County, Maryland Art Teacher and Photographer

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dance in the Woods

This Thursday I am beginning something I left fifteen years ago. I am taking the mini-van by myself up near Harpers Ferry, riding alongside the Potomac River (on the Maryland side) down through the river town of Sandyhook and up into the woods for my modern dance class. Slipperyslope sits in the forest and the studio has views of the trees through the windows in the two story structure. My family and I visited it this weekend so I would be able to find it on my first day of class. She has two donkeys, a couple of wardering cats and of course dogs. I can't think of a better way to get away and to reconnect with myself and dance.



I have recently noticed that I am wandering back to the things that I left behind fifteen or so years ago. In between college and now, exercise included several Jazzercise classes and recently two years of yoga. Now suddenly I am a mother of two, but with the realization that if I don't do something creative for myself I may implode. Of course I have picked up my camera again this year, after a long time "off", but there is something to be said for dance. Maybe it's the fact that it is expressive, or the need to feel sexy and beautiful in my own space. But there also lays the challenge for me. Thérèse is an aerial dancer and instructor. If you don't know what that is about, then just look at the pictures. It looks easy and difficult all at the same time. Maybe I am past my time to experiment with this sort of thing, but I at least want to give it a try.



This leads to a whole other realm, of photographing the dance company, which I suggested and she is excited about. I have some wonderful, contemplative photos of a dancer I knew in college as well as my own self-portraits from that time (as a dancer). So who knows, maybe I am going back to my roots. Grow where you are planted.

http://www.theresekeegan.com/Index/Welcome.html

No comments: